Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A day without a friend is like a pot without a single drop of honey left inside. - Winnie the Pooh

Ok you must be wondering why I used a Winnie the Pooh quote... ok maybe not...

The reason is because I have a tree in my backyard with a tree hollow and it reminded me of Winnie the Pooh getting his honey. 


These hollow as seen below in my tree are just holes that form in the tree. They are can form for a variety of reasons including, natural forces like wind, attacks from other organisms including insects, bacteria and fungi, they also can be caused when a tree self prunes. I tried figuring out what caused this hollow and am struggling, but seems because the location that it have been from a branch that was there at some point.  

I unfortunately can't see anything to interesting in my hollow besides miss which seems to inhabit my entire backyard, but these can be great habitats for all sorts of organisms. Depending on the size of the hollow the organisms can be extremely small like bacteria and fungi or can be rather large like This is because they can be a good shelter and hiding place for them. 

I am going to keep an eye on this hollow and see if anything grows and blooms in there. 

Until next week...










2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! i cant wait to see what happens with this it seriously looks just like the tre from winnie the pooh, i wish i had some cool things like this in my backyard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps your backyard could become the new home for Pooh after his callous removal from Harvard:
    http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2012/6/20/pooh-house-commentary/

    ReplyDelete