Tuesday, March 5, 2013

"A rolling stone gathers no moss"

As I ventured out this week to see the living organisms in my yard this week, I noticed this moss on some non-moving stones. I have noticed it before but really took a look at it, as that is the purpose of this blog...




Here it is, as close as i could get the ole iPhone to focus. This moss is growing on a retaining wall, so it is literally growing on concrete, which is pretty hard to do. It is just hanging out with some of it's buddies too!




Moss is a non-vascular plant. It is defined by dictionary.com as "any tiny, leafy-stemmed, flowerless plant of the class Musci, reproducing by spores and growing in tufts, sods, or mats on moist ground, tree trunks, rocks, etc."

Moss uses diffusion to carry water and nutrients throughout the plants and this is why they cannot grow very far from their source of water. This can be seen in these photos.

           

I tried to identify the type of moss by some Googling, but couldn't actually identify it. I looked at this doc , but couldn't diversify it. Does anyone know what this is?

3 comments:

  1. Not really sure but maybe it is the Bryospida species of moss that usually grows on bricks. I wish I had moss or something to see but I only see a few dead bushes aligned in front of the walk way. I will be taking pictures of all the bushes for a before and after picture when spring is officially here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moss is just always there. Dont have to water it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John always has very zen comments.
    As to the species of moss, hard to tell from the photo, and from my not being an expert. But the fact that it's growing on concrete can actually help narrow things down. Also, cool find on that document on mosses and liverworts! That's useful.
    One thing I recommend when an i.d. of a species is elusive:
    set up an account (free) at inaturalist.org
    You can post your pictures and ask smart, geeky people what they think it is. I use it for all kinds of animal/plant/fungus/lichen i.d.

    ReplyDelete