Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Wait... what... flowers in March?

Yes I have seen the beauty of flowers in my yard on 3/31/13! They are beautiful purple crocus. A lot of people posted last week that they had some hearty crocuses poking through. Mine may have been late bloomers... (bad joke). They are a very nice sight compared to the seemingly never ending snow we were getting on weekends.


Anyways how can crocuses bloom so early? I don't know why and after 30+ Google searches I am tapping out... I found on the Wikipedia page that "Crocus flowers and leaves are protected from frost by a waxy cuticle; in areas where snow and frost occasionally occur in the early spring, it is not uncommon to see early-flowering crocus blooming through a light late snowfall."

Other than that I am unable to locate any solid reasoning. However crocuses have 90 varieties and can be split up into spring and fall bloomers. Also they are very hearty and are not affected by many pests or disease, other than squirrels eating the bulbs.

Does anyone know the any other reasons that the crocus bloom so early?


7 comments:

  1. Very good to see flowers start coming along. Means winter is over. Crocuses just want to get a head start on the other plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried looking for the same thing, and found just about the same info that you did. But from what I have seen they like to grow in difficult places, like snow, gravel, shade and freezing temratures.

    Is the top, left all green plant a crocus or something else? Its looks way to big to be a crocus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know exactly how they grow in the snow climate but luckily google is available!! http://gardenersnet.com/bulbs/crocus.htm It seems that they start growing when it is clear for them to grow and bloom in the beginning of spring even if there is snow on the ground. Their must be a signal for their receptors to know that time of year, it probably isn't climate responsive and is responsive to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking those are two types of flowers. I'm almost certain those are not crocuses.

    The purple flowers could be Chionodoxa ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chionodoxa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, I was not aware that there are autumn varieties as well. Crocuses are always the first flowers I see in my yard, too, around this time of year, and they are pretty hearty through snow and frost. I know daffodils aren't as tough as crocuses, but there are some in my yard as well. These flowers are a nice and pleasant sign of warmer weather, but I prefer flowers you can cut and arrange. I can't wait for the lilac to bloom, they make the entire world smell amazing for the few short weeks they flower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, you definitely have two different species of plant here. Crocuses are indeed the quintessential early bloomers, but they are not alone. Interesting the variety in timing of the crocuses blooming across multiple people's blogs, even though we all live in a relatively narrow geographic area. What could account for such variability?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The variability is interesting. I would assume that it could be related to amount of sunshine in each location. My house is very shady throughout the day and the plants blooming a little later could be a result of not getting the same amount of sun as others.

      Delete